When We Are Closed
The Devon Doctors service is for urgent healthcare problems that cannot wait until your surgery re-opens. There are lots of things you can do that mean you might not need to contact the out of hours service.
- Could your health problem wait until your surgery re-opens?
- You can telephone NHS Direct on 111 for general health information
- You can treat yourself for some conditions with over the counter remedies like paracetamol and cough medicines
- Have you asked your pharmacist? They can give free and expert advice without an appointment
- Is there a local Minor Injuries Unit or Walk In Centre you could go to?
- But remember - for life threatening conditions and emergency treatment, you must dial 999 or go to the nearest Accident and Emergency Department.
Making sure that you're okay
It's important that you can still have access to a family doctor (GP) at night and at the weekends and evenings when you are feeling unwell.
Devon's out of hours GP service is paid for by the NHS and provided by Devon Doctors. We offer family doctor urgent medical and nursing cover when your surgery is closed.
The District Nursing Team provides a comprehensive Nursing Service at home for people who are unable to get to the Surgery. They can be contacted out of hours via the on Call Service Tel: 01392 824 600
In the case of urgent need when the practice is closed you can call NHS Direct (111) to speak to a triage nurse. Your needs will be assessed and advice offered or arrangements made for you to see a doctor.
Please do not ask to see a doctor out of hours unless you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens.
Call 999 in an emergency. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.